Friday 26 June 2009

A Comeback For Luxury

Everyday I hear some one complaining on high designer goods- the $800 Jimmy Choos, the $1500 leather Gucci handbag, the $500 Fendi necklace- and the list goes on. But as stuck up as it sounds, I have to agree with President and CEO of Fendi’s fashion house, Michael Burke, who believes that luxury shouldn’t be affordable to the masses.


“Luxury is not for instantaneous gratification. One should aspire for it.” And it’s so true. Even as a little girl I remember trying on my mother’s Manolo’s (still two sizes too big) and her old Chanel costume jewelry, wondering of the day that I would inherit it.


And then came the days when the Louis Vuitton purse was entrusted in my care, along with Christian Dior earrings, every year more to follow. But I have to agree with my mother, who with Burke, probably once said that nice things are meant to be taken care of, for their quality and worth, and shouldn’t be taken advantage of, nor unappreciated.


And now the time has come. When not every one can afford all the beautiful things that collectors, and as I believe-investors- such as myself, don’t in actuality take for granted. This recession has brought for an ‘equilibrium‘ and returning ‘the real values of luxury.‘ Now, that’s seeing the good out of the bad, from my point of view anyway.

No comments: